Folksongs of Canada Now: An Archive of New Field Recordings
collected by Henry Adam Svec
Download Songs (.zip file; 67.1 MB)
I. Bonnie Lasses
- Come, You Women (Andrew Penner [Sunparlour Players])
- Nellie Coming Home from the Wake (Mathias Kom)
- Poor Little Girls of Ontario (Chris Eaton & Idris Eaton Reinsborough)
- Maiden (Andy Magoffin)
- Maggie Howie (Olenka Krakus)
- Little Indian Maid (Tara Beagan & Henry Adam Svec)
- Discussion About Recording Levels for “Sally Go Round the Sun” (Bryan Pole & Henry Adam Svec)
- Sally Go Round the Sun (Bryan Pole)
II. Men and Shantyboys
- Kelly the Pirate (Ajay Mehra)
- July 4 (Michael Duguay)
- Down by Your Shady Harbour (Henry Adam Svec)
- The Hobo's Grave (Ron Leary)
- Save Your Money While You're Young (Laura Barrett)
- Is the Life of a Man Any More Than the Leaves? (Wax Mannequin)
- Old Time Mountain Dew (Henry Adam Svec)
III. Nature, Community, Religion, War, and Newfoundland
- When the Ice Worms Nest Again (Jenny Omnichord)
- How We Got Back to the Woods This Year (Andrew Vincent)
- Come All Ye Bold Canadians (Song of the War of 1812) (Geoff Berner)
- The Banks of Newfoundland (Al Tuck)
- All Cats Are Grey in the Dark (Henry Adam Svec)
- Cruiskeen Lawn (El Ron Maltan)
- The Cold Black River Stream (Steph Yates)
- Is the Life of a Man Any More Than the Leaves? (Andrew Sisk)
- Authors/performers listed in parentheses (please see “Introductory Notes”); thus all songs (c) SOCAN 2011.
- Alison Corbett plays fiddle on #2.
- On #3, Idris Eaton Reinsborough on vocals and harmonica.
- Sara Froese plays fiddle on #5, the recording of which was facilitated by Andrew James.
- Tara Beagan knew words, and Henry Adam Svec music, for #6.
- Ryan West plays mandolin, Andy Cragg plays flute, and Muddy and Bentleey bark on #10.
- Bryan Pole sing harmonies on #20.
- WL Altman plays guitar on #21.
- These recordings were mastered by Simon Larochette in London, Ontario.